GREETINGS & ALOHA! Mokuaikaua Church is the first founded and oldest christian church in the state of Hawaii. It was founded by missionaries who came from Boston, Massachusetts on the Brig Thaddeus in 1820.
THE NAME: There have been literal interpretations offered covering the name of Mokuaikaua. One is "The Trees Are Cut, Let Us Eat." Another, "The Land the devours warfare." The only acceptable origin of the name Mokuaikaua is due to the place where the timber material was obtained; it was part of the crown properties known as Mokuaikaua, and located on the western slopes of Mount Hualalai.
THE ARCHWAY: In 1910, the Evangelical Association of the territory of Hawaii met in Kailua to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the coming fo the first american congregational missionaries to Hawaii in 1820. In honor of this occasion, Mokuaikaua Church was repaired and a stone arch was built to commemorate the anniversary.
THE SANCTUARY: Two other structures were built prior to the present church. The first was built as the King's home prior to 1820, and the second was built as a church in 1825. The present structure was started in 1835 and dedicated in early 1837.